One of the coolest things I’m known for is the ability to
diagnose my friends. Everyone will
pile into my tiny Manhattan apartment for my famous drinks and dessert party,
we shoot the shit and before you know it, my DSM is out and I’m pointing out
the histrionic, the bipolar, or the psychopath in the group (all of which are
me). The DSM is by far one of my
favorite books. Sure its more a
text book than anything else, but if you’ve ever cracked one open, you might as
well be reading a set of short stories about random disorders that you never
even knew existed.
The other day, I was watching my Law & Order: Special Victims Unit (favorite show
ever), and it was the episode where Stabler finds out his daughter’s picture is
on a pedophile website and he flips his shit. Naturally, I pulled out my DSM to look up the disorder known
as Pedophilia. I flipped through
other deviant behavior getting to the page (fetishism, sadism, etc) detailing
the behavior.
I mean, the real reason I looked it up was because the
extreme stigma attached to the disorder.
Most, if not all people regard this as one of the most disdainful
behaviors in the world. But of
course, being as impartial as I possibly could, I started to think about these
people.
I can’t judge them the way that I am. There is a reason that Pedophilia (and
all philias) is listed in the DSM.
Simple neuronal misfires and abnormal brain development could be simple
explanations for such deviant behavior.
And sure, it isn’t right, but we treat all kinds of things like cancer,
HIV, and the like. Can we really
judge them for being who they are?
If they are just hard wired like that, it’s not their fault. Sure, it’s gross disgusting, but if
they can’t help it, then its like saying a cancer patient could avoid cancer.
I mean, and this extends beyond pedophilia. What about the other philias? S&M is revered with underground
dungeons (stay tuned for a future piece on my experience as a dungeoness). Voyeurism is all across the Internet
with spy cams etc. If all philias
are lumped into one category, then technically all are deviant acts that should
be shamed upon. Right?
I guess what I’m trying to figure out is why these behaviors
are all lumped together when there is a clear distinction between what is legal
hard wired behavior and what is illegal hard wired behavior. It should really be all or none.
Before we all get our panties in a bunch about what is a
true sexual dysfunction and what isn’t, I should mention that there is a new
version of the DSM coming out. I
don’t know the details about what is changing, but there are certainly changes,
so who knows. Maybe my concerns
will be alleviated and I won’t go through life wondering if my S&M behavior
should be classified as illegal.
What I’m really interested in knowing is what my reader’s
opinions are. Do you think that
pedophilia should be classified as a separate behavior? Do you think it’s a hard-wired behavior
or a learned behavior? Do you
think it’s treatable? What about
other philias? Where does that
leave the vast majority of people who live by legal philias? Is it fair? Leave a comment or 12.
No comments:
Post a Comment