Sex in school. This week, the New York City public school system has put into effect a new mandate requiring sex education classes at city public schools. If you don’t have an opinion, you should get one. Almost 10% of females in this city’s public high school system are pregnant. That’s actually a pretty high statistic. 20 years ago, our open-minded city shut down the sex education program as a result of heavy opposition from the city and of course overzealous religious groups (I feel very close to Dan Savage at this moment).
I’m as open about my sexuality as Margo Wilson (god rest her soul, the mother of human sexuality). I’m very sex-positive, and I’m always striving for people to explore their sexuality and go out of their comfort zones. On a completely separate note, I volunteer. I volunteer 8am to 5pm every Saturday from September to June. The kids I work with are mostly girls aged 8 to 14. Over the course of five years, I’ve lost two girls to pregnancy.
Ten years ago, when I was in high school, I had the sex ed course. Pregnant girls were shunned and everyone avoided eyes with them. It’s 2011 and the number of pregnant teenagers has not only increased, but become glorified in the form of movies and tv (Juno and those teen pregnancy shows on MTV). Girls are making “pregnancy pacts” to ensure all their children grow up together. Seriously?
Going back to the sex ed mandate, I’ve posed the question to several people of all shapes, colors, and sizes. I received pretty much the same answer (and why wouldn’t I, living in this blue city), in that sex ed absolutely should be integrated into the public school system. Students, from middle school on, should be “schooled” on the ins and outs of sex and sexuality. They should know the proper names of their genitalia and how to put on a condom. They should have fear instilled into them regarding the risk of STDs and the downfalls of pregnancy at such a young age.
I know I sound preachy, but given the two girls I’ve lost to not being schooled in the ways of the sexual world, I have the right to be a little peeved. Now look, there are plenty of cons to introducing sex into the still-developing minds of our future. Introducing sex might just push them off the edge, giving them a reason to their promiscuity. Obviously I’m sex positive, and I’m supportive of matured people exploring their sexuality and sexual identify. That being said, as long as the consequences are made VERY clear, there is no reason not to have sex ed as a mandate in the schools.
I waited till I was 22 to have sex, mainly because I was scared of getting pregnant. Even the idea of birth control was no reason for me to spread my legs. Even now, I track my ovulation very carefully, always use a condom (the truth is, I’ve never done it raw…cue all of your jaws dropping), and get tested at least once a month. There is nothing as too safe (except of course no sex, which I do NOT condone).
Not only are human beings evolving, but also sex and sexuality are evolving. New ideas are sprouting in (and out of the bedroom). People are exploring sexuality, sexual identity, and orientation now more than ever, and it’s just going to increase as we continue to evolve. I can’t support a generation that is literally devolving from the strong career-driven woman of the 21st century.
The sex ed mandate is a very controversial topic and I’ve heard very strong support for it. What I’ve failed to hear is the strong support against it, and I know it’s out there. So, I pose the question out there. If you are not in favor of the new sex ed mandate in the NYC school system, please tell me why and how you think the high rate of teen pregnancies is affected by it.
I dedicate this post to the two girls I lost to pregnancy. I’m not sure what’s going on with them at this point in their life, but I hope they are safe and above all, happy.
No comments:
Post a Comment